From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] [POLL] Use Unstable Branch
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:13:34 GMT

On 8/8/12 10:58 AM, "Carol Frampton" <cframpto@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 8/8/12 1 :53PM, "Jason Moore" <Jason.Moore@harksolutions.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> The way I've used SVN before is to make the trunk the "unstable"
>> development  and then branch off "stable" versions. Means you always
>> have a latest stable branch you can maintain / apply patches, while the
>> trunk forges ahead. Branch another version off the trunk when it has
>> progressed, then work on making that branch stable.
>>
>> It does mean fixes applied to the branch need to be re-integrated back
>> to the trunk, but merging fixes from a stable branch to the development
>> branch is better than the other way round...
>
> That's what we used to do at Adobe as well.  However I think the Apache
> model is that trunk should be releasable with a couple of days.
>
> Carol
Because the main official product is now source I want to try having trunk
be "ready-to-ship" at all times.

At Adobe we had branches per release, and other articles touting such a
strategy said they would be short-lived (probably removed once no longer
supported), but as we've seen, some folks stay on old releases forever (I
got a Flex 1.5 question the other day), and that ended up being a lot of
branches hanging around.  So I want to try using tags and a tiered approach
and see if it works better.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team