From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: SVN and issues with branching / consider how we use SVN going forward
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 07:01:52 GMT

On 8/7/12 11:57 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From my experience I'd not recommend using changelists. IMO they are can be
> confusing, have limited GUI tool support, are only client side (ie can't be
> shared or checked in), only work with files (not directories) and have issues
> with non flat directory structures.
>
> For those who don't know about SVN changelists (and I'd guess there's a few)
> you can read more here:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.6/svn.advanced.changelists.html
>
> How about instead of going down the most complex path right away - lets try
> the simple way (ie use trunk) and if we have any issues then consider what
> needs to be done?
>
> I would rather my time was taking up writing code not juggling changelists and
> branches and fighting with SVN when things don't work.

I think I misspoke.  We were merging by revision numbers not changelists.

I would rather err on the side of being able to quickly produce quality
releases and think the extra effort is going to be worth it.  If we go with
your plan and are sorry, it will be much harder to recover.

Let's use the unstable branch until we prove we don't need it.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team