From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: SVN and issues with branching / consider how we use SVN going forward
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 05:32:11 GMT

On 8/7/12 4:32 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Unfortunately, Flex isn't as modular as it should be.
> Perhaps not on the large scale architecture level. But I still see no issue
> with checking fixes to JIRA issues or new components (tested obviously) into
> trunk as they would be small bite sized chunks (and generally low risk), even
> changes to existing components should be able to be done in bite size chunks,
> for major architecture changes I would expect a branch.
I say we play it safe and use an unstable branch for now and prove we don't
need it.  If you are 100% sure your change is safe, I won't veto it if you
commit it to both branches at the same time.  If you're wrong, we will
resort to public humiliation like other projects do.

>>  And given that I don't think we have enough tests to keep trunk in good
>> shape
> How many Mustella tests just got checked in? 10,000? As all development is in
> public you get many people eyes on each check in. Changes to trunk can be very
> easily reverted if needed.
More than 10000 mustella tests exist, but if we had enough tests, there
wouldn't be 30,000 bugs in JIRA.

>> I'd lean towards playing it safe with an unstable branch until we can prove
>> that we can keep it in shape.
> Let say we go with this. At any one time you may have several people patches
> etc  in unstable and if it's decided that one is good enough to put into trunk
> how do you merge that patch into trunk and not the other patches?
You can merge individual change lists.  We did this all the time at Adobe.
Most of the time it worked.
> Even if the
> patches are in different parts of the code I can see issues here. How do we
> know when the unstable branch isn't broken?
We can even merge certain changelists while unstable is broken as long as ou
aren't merge the thing that broke it.
> Do we need to set up more CI
> instances one for unstable and another for any other long running branch?
Yes, one instance for unstable and one for trunk.  I'm not seeing a need for
more long-running branches at this time.
> Do
> we need to run Mustella over both trunk and unstable before doing a merge?
I would say no.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team