From Carol Frampton <cfram...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: SVN and issues with branching / consider how we use SVN going forward
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:52:23 GMT

On 8/7/12 11 :09AM, "Alex Harui" <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

>On 8/7/12 1:23 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>>> ...IIRC, merging worked pretty well for us.  I am currently not afraid
>>>of it,
>>> especially since we are using SVN 1.6....
>>
>> From the community standpoint, I think working in the same trunk as
>> much as possible is much better, in general.
>So you are not a fan of the whiteboard->unstable->trunk approach?  Or just
>not having a ton of personal branches. I thought some Apache projects used
>the tiered approach.

I don't think everything has to go thru unstable but I think the code that
goes into trunk has to be complete and bug-free to the best of your
knowledge.  That means if you are working on a feature that will take you
some time to complete (or more than a release cycle) and you can't break
it down into useable sub-pieces, and you want to check in at intermediate
points, the code needs to go somewhere other than trunk.

I think it is possible to do svn merging correctly but many people don't.
At Adobe, the engineers did their own merging but we had a build engineer
who cleaned up after us.

Carol