From Carlos Rovira <carlos.rov...@codeoscopic.com>
Subject Re: Cross-compiling Flex to HTML5/Javascript (Was : Update on Falcon donation)
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:30:47 GMT
Maybe the major problem for Flex in the future is the Flash Player
dependency. Some time ago I thought Adobe and Flash will be a solid
platform, but nowadays we can not trust anymore in Adobe taking into
account that from one day to another they shift objetives in such
radikal way. Such change bring such consequences.

All about flex is great, and the Flash Player too, but I feel that if
Adobe is the owner of a critical piece of the system is very
dangerous. I'd love to see Flash Player and AIR donated to some
foundation like Apache...that would change all the game.

One thing I never understood was Adobe not helping to open source
Flash Player or transforming it to help to be the industry standard.
They they managed it is pushing the player to some uncertain future.
Take a look to the recent problems with Chrome that make
LocalConnection to break functionality.

The other side of this story is browser rendering, and this bring
other serious problems like fragmentation, inconsistences and poor
technology (javascript) that would make each development day a hell on
earth...

Sometimes I think why web technologies are such problematic and why we
don't have today some robust ecosystem free of flame and company
wars...

2012/8/29 Michael A. Labriola <labriola@digitalprimates.net>:
>>I had in mind writing in a subset of ActionScript that cross-compiles cleanly to JavaScript,
which is basically the idea of FalconJS. But, not having worked on FalconJS, I never understood
what it did with Flash classes like >Sprite that are implemented in native code in the
player.

> The way HTML and Flex produce visual content and a component model are different. However,
and I have proven this using other languages which cross-compile, if we can simply get a cross-compiler
that can translate the AS language (ignoring Flash Player classes) into the JS language, there
is an enormous amount we can do. It wouldn't mean magically using Flex in the browser today,
but it would set us up well for building on a next version that respects the differences in
the DOM between the two targets.

> It's not that HTML is less extensible, I used to think that too. It's that HTML enforces
a separation between form and function that we tried to consider with Spark, but didn't make
it far enough. Having solid AS to JS support would make ActionScript a very relevant language
outside of Flash Player.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología