From Carlos Rovira <carlos.rov...@codeoscopic.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:58:41 GMT

> I think the conversation and relative merits is exactly what we should be
> doing. The only thing I wish is that, like other areas of the project, we
> didn't have to wait on someone else. If we could just demonstrate the
> advantages of Git instead of talking about them in the abstract, I think we
> would have less issue. The problem here with Git is its different. And,
> unfortunately, without an understanding of those advantages and how they
> might help us longer term it is very difficult for anyone to agree that we
> should make that change now.
>
> The discussion is golden. I think the real question is, once we make a
> decision can everyone support it and move forward or does anyone take their
> toys and go home.
>
> Mike

Mike, I think we are debated long enough about GIT with lots of arguments.
Those arguments still are not valid if people does not want to take a
little effort: learn a new tool that only extends SVN to the better. The
only arguments are that Apache official SCM is SVN, that there is no full
support and that "I only want to talk about new code, but don't want to
take the effort of know why GIT is  better for the project".

Then if even people like you that would vote for GIT in first instance,
ends voting for the opposite...I think we are not doing us a favor.

If we are investing lots of mails here is because many of think this is
really important. And this should be what mentors should valorate.

This decision would change the future of Flex, since people would
colaborate or not in determinated areas of development if they feels
comfortable with the model of development.

If instead of having branch to test stuff, we must to go over dispare
whiteboards that are isolated. That will be a total nightmare and this
project could end without very few people investing time.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología