From Carlos Rovira <carlos.rov...@codeoscopic.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:45:44 GMT
Hi Alex,

great to see you on Git now! :)

First get a free Git client that will help you to get on track with this
new SCM. As we discussed before the best *free* clients are smart git on
windows and sourcetree on mac.

One thing to point now that you tried it is that philosophy behind Git is
little different from SVN.

When you want to plan a feature make a local branch to make your
development, better than start to make it directly on the initial branch.
When you finish, merge with final. You can as well publish  your feature
branch in remote to let others see it and help with your feature.

You must take into account that commits should be atomic in order to be
manageable as a "cherry pick". Cherry picks let you apply a single commit
without dragging the rest of changes (merge will apply all history). Avoid
mix modifications in single commits and make groups of related files to
accomplish a single commit. When you have a group of local commits that
makes a feature make a "push" to the remote server. In git the concept of
commit has more meaning that in SVN since if you did a commit that is not
mixed with other things you can perform lot of actions, reverse the commit,
and so on...

To see remote changes perform a "fetch". To retrieve remote changes make a
"pull".

Consider to use a "stash" when you want to reset you branch without lossing
you work (it will be packed in a named patch that you can apply at a later
time).

One great thing to take into account is that you can't push to remote until
you resolve conflicts. This allow people resolve "in home" all conflicts
and not break the remote branch. But this require to fix a pass some test
before make the push.

Another great thing of Git is that when a released is planned the rest of
the time can continue working and commiting work without the need to
"freeze" commits due to the distributed nature of the system :)

Hope you like Git and will envision the possibilities in a near future when
we try to plan aggresive changes that make many people be productive as
they do many different task that will go to the main branch at different
time.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología