From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MENTOR] Pushing to Git (was: What would it take to move to Git)
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:14:42 GMT
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> I think folks want to use Git as the main repo.  But when I follow the
> instructions on [1] it isn't working.  "git push" does not run successfully.
>
> Because it is "experimental", can we open Infra tickets or is this where we
> need to supply skilled volunteers?

ASF Infra does not yet officially support native git as the main repo.
The officially supported repo right now is svn. Git is only
"officially" supported via the git-svn interface.

There are a few projects who have been allowed to conduct an
experiment of native git support. These projects are able to use
read-write git on the ASF git repo. So far, the only way a project has
been considered for this support is if they have a person who is
knowledgable in git admin who is willing to join the infra git support
team. I know we have people who have expressed willingness to help,
but I don't know if those people would consider themselves
knowledgable in git admin.

At some point in the future the ASF will have full support for git. I
think they are hoping to work on that later this year, but no official
timetable has been set.

So for now we're not going to be able to do git push. It must be done
using the git-svn interface.

Greg