From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Mentor] & [PPMC] FlexUnit
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:37:01 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Michael A. Labriola
<labriola@digitalprimates.net> wrote:
> ...I have performed a preliminary review and refactoring of the code to fix dependencies,
etc. Given that, do I file the software
> grant now and then the PPMC works on final IP Clearance or something else...

>From the PPMC side, once you submit the grant you represent that you
are allowed to donate the code, so the PPMC will not usually make any
inquiries to check that it's the case, unless there are reasons to
believe that some parts should not have been donated.

The code that you donate doesn't have to be ready to release from an
ASF point of view - headers can be fixed once in the Flex svn for
example, and dependencies will have to be checked before making a
release. OpenOffice, for example, had lots of non-compliant
dependencies when it was donated, that's been fixed in the Apache svn
before making the first release.

So I'd say if you are ready to sign the grant, just go ahead. It's
best IMO to use a JIRA issue to track the donation (including digests
of the donated code archives), so that we have a trace of what
happened and how the PPMC handled it.

-Bertrand