From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ROADMAP] Apache Flex Steering Survey
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 12:01:38 GMT
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> ...There nothing saying we can't have roadmaps (AFAIK) and several other Apache projects
do have them.
> For example http://subversion.apache.org/roadmap.html...

Agreed - it''s just that such roadmaps can easily fail, if they're too
ambitions, and people are disappointed.

> ...We just need to be a little careful and make it clear that it's not a roadmap in the
traditional sense ie a list of
> features that are planned to be done by a certain date....

Yes, it's more a list of goals and priorities IMO - as the amount of
effort that people put into an Apache project is unpredictable, and as
reaching consensus sometimes takes longer than expected, I wouldn't
put any dates on such a list.

If the roadmap is driven by an external entity, please use a distinct
name. If Spoon is driving a roadmap/wishlist, calling it "Spoon
Roadmap" as John suggests is perfectly fine, calling it "Apache Flex
roadmap" is not ok.

-Bertrand