From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:25:52 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> Would we be working off of github.com?...

github can be part of the equation, but the repository from which
releases are cut needs to be hosted at apache.org.

As Justin pointed out, those are the places to look at:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/ (which points to
infrastructure-dev@apache.org for discussions) - which is about
projects using Git @apache.org as their main code repository, as
opposed to svn.

http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html which is about using Git mirrors,
which are already functional for Flex AFAIK (and can be easily setup
if not).

Several ASF projects are already using Git as their main repo, though
AFAIK that's still considered experimental by our infrastructure
group. Those folks have been asking projects who want to do that to
also supply skilled volunteers to help setup and test the ASF's Git
infrastructure.

Let me add one BIG WARNING as a mentor: branches might be much easier
to manage with Git, but if a move to Git is a way to avoid agreeing on
how branches are managed, that won't help IMO. I would recommend
sorting that problem (which is a community problem, not a technical
one) in svn first before considering a move.

-Bertrand