From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVN and issues with branching / consider how we use SVN going forward
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:42:22 GMT
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 8/7/12 1:23 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...From the community standpoint, I think working in the same trunk as
>> much as possible is much better, in general....

> So you are not a fan of the whiteboard->unstable->trunk approach?  Or just
> not having a ton of personal branches. I thought some Apache projects used
> the tiered approach....

In the projects where I'm active, whiteboard is just here for wild
experiments that are usually short-lived and also usually mostly
rewritten before making it to the trunk. Think of it as a whiteboard
on the wall in the meeting room, where you go wild, take pictures to
remember the good ideas and erase the whole thing when you leave.

I'm not sure about having both a trunk and a stable branch - if you
have solid tests, trunk should be releasable 99% of the time, and if
you can attain that it's a great motivation for developers to work
without breaking things (most of the time of course).

Just my two cents, I'm not saying this with any "mentor authority",
just from my experience in various projects at the ASF.

-Bertrand