From Omar Gonzalez <>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:13:30 GMT
On Monday, August 13, 2012, Carol Frampton wrote:

> On 8/11/12 2 :30AM, "Alex Harui" < <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> >Tomorrow I will try to commit something and if it works, we'll start a
> >vote
> >on Monday.
> I assume/hope the VOTE would be at least 48 hours since I now have to drop
> everything I was working on to go learn enough about Git to vote.
> I would also like to paste from one of Bertrand's emails last week to
> reiterate his warning message [1]:
> Let me add one BIG WARNING as a mentor: branches might be much easier
> to manage with Git, but if a move to Git is a way to avoid agreeing on
> how branches are managed, that won't help IMO. I would recommend
> sorting that problem (which is a community problem, not a technical
> one) in svn first before considering a move.
> As far as I can figure there has been no agreement on branching strategy.
> Carol
> [1]
I wouldn't vote for Git at this point as I feels there is too much push
back from people that don't want to learn it, because none of the arguments
put against it are really that convincing, it's mostly that people just
don't want to learn it.

The way Apache (doesn't) supports Git kind of sucks anyhow, as it
essentially leaves sVN as the primary and uses Git as an interface

I will be doing all my work in Git and usin git svn dcommit as soon as I
can get it set up, whatever branching strategy gets agreed upon, anyhow.

In regard to the branching strategy, I still believe the Git Branching
Model is the way to go, even in SVN. Everything else that has been proposed
sounds like chaos and has all been presented without a very clear workflow.
The GBM is clear, thought out, and in my experience using it works
extremely well.