From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2012 03:07:52 GMT

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Michael A. Labriola <
> labriola@digitalprimates.net> wrote:
>
> > >OK, but the first clone will be huge?  I think our import file was in
> the
> > 10's of GBs.  I'm afraid to try to clone the flex project over my home
> > network.  I am testing by cloning the flex-site which worked from github.
> >
> > That is a big concern. I don't have a sense of how big it would be if all
> > of the copies of files SVN has were made singular in the git method. We
> > don't need to use github to figure it out though, we can make a local git
> > repository and try this. I am willing to do so later next week when I
> > should have time or, if someone else has time, they can do so first.
> >
> > Mike

Went ahead and tried it myself also, here's my console log:

quintessa:GitHub grimlock$ git clone git://git.apache.org/flex.git
Cloning into 'flex'...
remote: Counting objects: 330636, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (330636/330636), 174.63 MiB | 364 KiB/s, done.
remote: Total 330636 (delta 238777), reused 325021 (delta 233243)
Resolving deltas: 100% (238777/238777), done.
quintessa:GitHub grimlock$ du -sh ./flex/
799M ./flex/

The download is 174.63 MB.
The /flex folder once checked out is 799M.

I also tried making some branches, it was instant.
Switching between branches, also instant.
These would be local branches.

Publishing branches back to the remote should also be fast, as it does not
reupload the entire branch fileset, Git is smarter than that.

-omar