From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:43:27 GMT
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Igor Costa <igorcosta@gmail.com> wrote:

> A pre stablish software that is commercially available needs a Road Map,
> software that is still engaging on community needs work in progress.
>
> By far, Road Map point to the decisions so far and History.
>

> ----------------------------
> Igor Costa
> www.igorcosta.com
> www.igorcosta.org

This his been a topic of discussion a few times before.

Here are some links:

http://markmail.org/message/wtkxutq4qbgrtqcu?q=+list:org%2Eapache%2Eincubator%2Eflex-dev+roadmap&page=2
http://markmail.org/message/dsd4v3gca42fkadt?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Eincubator%2Eflex-dev+roadmap
http://markmail.org/search/?q=+list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.flex-dev+flex+roadmap#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.flex-dev%20flex%20roadmap+page:5+mid:jzrrj73gcivbfyrl+state:results

Basically it comes down to the fact that we are all here on a volunteer
basis, and people will "scratch their own itch" when it comes to making
contributions. A roadmap implies both promises on features and timelines
for those deliveries, both of which we do not have.

If you want to list out history, let's make a *Change Log* page where we
can list release versions and all the notes we need on it.

If you want committers to list some of the stuff we're working on, we
should make a page called *Works in Progress*.

But let's get rid of the *Roadmap*.

If we want to list what some priorities are for the future, then lets make
a page called *High Priority Items*. However, we can't just go adding to
that page without posting links to discussions in the mailing list where
we've discussed the important of something that needs to be happening soon.
There are no project leads here, so we can't make up these decisions
without consensus from the community because nobody is going to work on
them that way because its not "their itch".

If I'm wrong in those I'd love for someone else to jump in and correct me.

-omar