From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:50:40 GMT
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Omar Gonzalez
> <omarg.developer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...The issue, as I see it, is that the best branching model to follow
> works
> > best in Git because of the much improved manner in which it handles
> > branching, merging, and additional features that SVN does not have such
> as
> > Rebasing and easily adding multiple remote forks....
>
> Agreed, but considering the relatively low commit activity ATM (I'm
> listed 7th at [1] with 32 commits since January, which have nothing to
> do with Flex code for example)., I'm wondering if it would make more
> sense to start with the *simplest* branching model as opposed to the
> *best* one, for now. You might need the latter downstream, but
> probably not right now.

Well, I would rather go through a change in workflows once instead of
making a decision now that we know we are going to want to revisit later
down the line.

> OTOH, if people who are fluent in Git are willing to help make the
> switch happen, I won't stand in the way of course.
>
> -Bertrand
>
> [1]
> http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fincubator%2Fflex

I would be willing to take a lead on this. I can write up thorough examples
of the git commands that a committer would use in order to go through the
entire workflow outlined by the Git Branching Model.

There's even free Git clients for Windows and Mac from GitHub that I can
use to make videos and instructions off of and everyone can at least start
with a common GUI that they don't have to pay for as a result of switching
to Git, for those that have not used it yet.

-omar