From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:55:27 GMT

>  I'm guessing we are one of the larger
> projects at Apache in terms of code size

This is precisely why I think we should strongly consider moving to Git.

I understand the apprehension some may have with learn "Yet Another SCM
Control", but really? How many other SCM systems have you used besides SVN
and maybe CVS? I'm sure its not all that many. The commands are not that
difficult to learn. There's not that many. The concepts are similar, the
tools are just better in Git.

It's also not something that has to prevent work today. Moving to Git would
require establishing workflow for how to work with it and documenting it so
a transition can be made that doesn't impede everyone's current progress.

The current Git fork is getting sync'd to our SVN already. I would be
willing to take the lead and experiment with the Git repository by making a
fork to play around with and define and document in Confluence all of the
workflows for moving to it. Once that's done we can figure out when to make
the actual move and set a date and make a transition. Work on SVN can
continue the whole time.

-omar