From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should .project, .flexLibProperties, and .actionScriptProperties be checked in to source control? (Was: svn commit: r1375263 [1/2] - in /incubator/flex/sdk/branches/develop/frameworks/projects)
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:19:37 GMT
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Jeff Conrad <jeffxpx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Carol,
>
> I think Justin's question was more oriented around what's the best
> practice for checking in .project, .flexLibProperties, and
> .actionScriptProperties files?  Should they be included in source
> control or ignored?
>
> I took a peek at some of the files included and they contain some
> important information that would make any potential contributor's job
> easy.  For instance, in projects/framework/.actionScriptProperties,
> there are a ton of additional compiler arguments that if I had to put
> into every project like that, I'd go crazy:
>

>  additionalCompilerArguments="-keep-as3-metadata=Bindable,Managed,ChangeEvent,NonCommittingChangeEvent,Transient
> -load-config+=framework-config.xml
> --include-file=defaults.css,../defaults.css
> -include-file=defaults-3.0.0.css,../defaults-3.0.0.css
> -include-file=Assets.swf,../assets/Assets.swf
> -include-file=assets/CalendarIcon.png,../assets/CalendarIcon.png
> -namespace=library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx,../manifest.xml
> -namespace+=http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml,../manifest.xml
> -resource-bundle-list=bundles.properties -library-path= -locale="
>
> I'm in favor of either keeping this information in source control.  I
> don't want to have to remember all of that to make sure I'm building
> the SDK correctly.
>
> I suppose the other question that has to be asked, though, is whether
> or not Flash Builder would be making different SWCs than the ant
> scripts or where all of that information is included.  It looks like
> the ant scripts set the same arguments directly in the build.xml file.
>
> When someone gets time, maybe we can move all those arguments to
> framework-config.xml file and have both the .actionScriptProperties
> and build.xml file reference those so it's more DRY?  I'll do it
> sometime this week, but someone is more than welcome to beat me to it.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a quirk in the compiler that causes
> information set in a flex-config.xml file to be ignored by either the
> Ant or Flash Builder?  If it's a bug in the compiler, I'll just leave
> well enough alone until after Falcon.
>
> Jeff

Personally I would prefer that these files are not checked in, and that the
necessary information for setting up projects is posted in the README and
in Confluence.

I get where you're coming from in that its easier to get up and running in
Flash Builder, but you must also remember that not everybody uses Flash
Builder (I don't and never will) so we still need to make this information
easily found for people using other IDEs, such as IntelliJ, or even
TextMate (I know, not really an IDE, but still).

I would also say this is kind of the reason we use ANT to build the
project, in other words, to decouple the source code from relying on any
specific coding IDE.

-omar