From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:01:08 GMT
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Igor Costa <igorcosta@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carlos
>
> "But the real problem for me is that we can't target the changes we plan
> without a tool like Git. Maybe people that does not know Git does not
> understand this, but we were not able to make such deep changes if we are
> using SVN."
>
> Flex SDK was built over 4 versions using SVN, Since Flex 3 we open-sourced
> SDK.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't question moving to a better system. Git is a
better SCM system than SVN in many aspects. Flex was built on SVN, sure,
but under the control of a corporate entity. It is now completely open
source, its quite different having many developers whose activity is coming
in and out of the project.

> The only questionable thing for this entire thread is we must focus on Flex
> project not in Infra.

The SCM infrastructure is important. If you don't view it as such then I
believe that you should reconsider, it is extremely important.

> SVN or Git whatever, we have to keep focus on Flex evolves, otherwise
> community members will lose their interesting on the Apache Flex project.

Again, this is about Flex, and moving it forward, in the best direction. My
argument is that Git is the best direction for it, and I've stated reasons
for that throughout the thread. Everyone's argument against it has just
been "i dont want to learn X", but in my opinion, nothing of substance.

> To make a final statement we have to open vote and finish up and move to
> the next episode. Mustella, Falcon, things that are important right now for
> SDK.

Make other email threads about this and start the conversation. This thread
is about moving to Git.

> If SVN worked so well by until know, why make changes on winning team?

SVN worked so well under a corporate entity with EMPLOYEES that had to
follow a _lead_. We are not employees, we do not have a lead and we have
lots of devs that will be in and out of the code. Git will support this
much better than SVN.

> Regards
> Igor Costa
> www.igorcosta.com
> www.igorcosta.org

The SCM of the project is just as important as any issue.