From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Switching to Git - immediate repercussions
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:11:11 GMT
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Guthmann, Scott <
sguthmann@on3solutions.com> wrote:

> > I can do it.  Can we first discuss what the immediate repercussions
> would be when the switch happens?  Here are my concerns:
> > 1.  What happens to the automated builds when we do the switch?  I think
> we are using an svn connector in Jenkins right now.  We need to switch to
> the git plugin for the switch.
> > 2.  The Jenkins automated build is broken right now because of the repo
> structure change.  I believe we would want to fix that before we make the
> move.
> > 2.  How are commit/push notifications affected?  Right now emails come
> to flex-commits@i.a.o.  Will this be affected?
> > 3.  How long would the switch take?  Do we need to freeze checkins in
> the meantime?
> > 4. Who has/should have write access to the git repo?   I guess all the
> > committers should.  Not sure if we should give infra a list.
> > Anything else we should be worried about?
>
> It seems like answers to these questions would need to be known prior to
> voting to move to Git so that the project doesn't get stuck. When we voted
> did we move from something known, supported, and working to something that
> is unknown, unsupported, and not working?

Scott,

Almost all of them are procedural questions.  We need to be aware of what
would happen after the switch so that we are prepared.  Other Apache
projects have successfully move the Git, so it is only a matter of us
figuring things out ourselves.  I am raising these questions now so that we
don't cause extra work for ourselves later.

For example, we weren't aware that we should turn off Jenkins automated
builds while we re-arranged the svn repo structure.  This has caused the
builds to fail and it is in limbo right now.

Also given that Justin is the only person on this list who has a full
handle on the automated builds, we need to make sure that he is available
during the switch.  Or make time to let other committers get the hang of
the Jenkins build before the switch.    If Justin is not available when we
make the switch, we will make only things worse for him to fix the things
we break.

Thanks,
Om