From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Switching to AIR 3.4
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:06:45 GMT
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <nicholas@spoon.as>wrote:

> Om,
>
> Which version of AIR did you compile this with?  I've mentioned it before,
> but I keep getting the "This application uses a version of Adobe AIR that
> is out of date."  This is both on my work PC and Laptop (both are on AIR
> 3.2).
>
> Updating to AIR 3.3 allowed me to install the app.

Nick,

I have tried to repro this with different AIR versions, but no luck.  This
is built using the shipping version of Apache Flex 4.8 - hence uses AIR 3.1
for the packaging.

> Additionally, there was two points where Windows decided that the app was
> no longer responding, and asked me if I wanted to close it.  During the MD5
> verification, and after it downloaded the AIR integration kit (and seemed
> to be extracting it).  It is possible to be doing some green threading
> during those phases to allow frames to continue to process?
>
> -Nick

This is because the uncompressing of the zip files and the MD5 hash
generation are both CPU intensive and hence lock the UI.

This is good reason to upgrade to AIR 3.4 to make use of the Workers API.
But that raises a couple of issues:

1.  Apache Flex 4.8 is targeted to work with AIR 3.1.  What are our plans
to add AIR 3.4 support?  Can we just upgrade and see what happens?

2.  To debug the Workers api, one would need to use the pre-release version
of Flash Builder 4.7.  Obviously not everyone on Apache Flex has access to
the pre-release build.  It is bad form for me to switch to 4.7 and check
this kind of code into Apache Flex SVN?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Om