From Om <>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:24:48 GMT
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Gordon Smith <> wrote:

> I only know two... I've used Perforce and Subversion for 20 years. For me,
> the most important thing is ease of use, such as what visual tools it has
> and how it integrates with IDEs like Eclipse.

Here is a tutorial on getting the Egit plugin to work with Flash Builder [1]

> With Git, can you do an Eclipse refactoring without worrying about which
> files you need to check out?

Yes, you can.

> Do files have to be checked out at all before being edited?

No.  You can just start editing any file and the plugin is smart enough to
figure things out.

> If so, is there an Eclipse plugin to check them out?

See [1]

> How do I see what files I need to submit, and what changes I've made?

In Flash Builder or Eclipse:

Project - right click > Team > Synchronize Workspace.  You can see
"incoming", "outgoing" and "conflicts" (Very similar to the Perforce
Eclipse plugin)

> If this is all done on the command line, I have no interest in returning
> to 1972.
When I started with Git, this is exactly what I thought.  But of late, I
have started loving Git Bash (the command line environment for Git)  But,
for almost every feature, the EGit plugin for Eclipse/Flash Builder has
proven to be sufficient.

> I've spent the morning trying to use Git.  I gave up and am now reading the
> doc, because it is so different from SVN.  I tried a GUI (GitHub for Mac)
> but it seems tied to GitHub.  I don't know how to redirect it to look at
>  The GUI loves to show me commit records, but not the
> files
> themselves.  So now I am trying to learn the CLI.

Please see [1] and [2].  It has instructions on setting up Git with Flash
Builder and on how to get github projects into FB directly.

 - Gordon