From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Introduction and some quick questions
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:44:44 GMT

> (From Om)
>
> I see that your presentation is tomorrow evening.  For the short term, it
> would be best to download the latest source from here:
>

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/trunk/installer
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/trunk/common
>

> You can compile it on your machine and run it locally.  It should work fine
> for your presentation.  The codebase is pretty much locked and this is what
> we will be cutting a release from.
>

> And you could take this opportunity to perhaps walk through how to checkout
> code from Apache Flex, set up on your machine, compile it etc.  You could
> show the devs how easy it is to get up and running.  Maybe some of them
> will
> get inspired to help out Apache Flex as well.
>

> Just a thought :-)
>
> *I am actually going to go through this process (a little quickly) and
> maybe
> do some inspirational talk to. BTW you know I am also a yoga teacher and om
> is quite a common phrase in those circles. J

:-)

> If anyone has comments on the other questions as well that would be great!
>

> 3)      I've seen some threads here regarding unit testing - is there going
>
> to be some support or foundation for using Apache Flex with FlexUnit or
> other unit testing systems?
>
> Michael Labriola - the father of FlexUnit ;) has mentioned on this list
that he will be donating FlexUnit to Apache Flex soon.   You can see this
discussion for more details:
http://markmail.org/thread/477zkj3bmmk2a33d

> 4)      What is currently being worked on in terms of feature support that
>
> for example the Flash Player has that Apache Flex has yet to implement?
>
> video for example? Components?

I haven't seen any relevant discussions on the list about this.

> 5)      (Last one for now) I'll be using Andrew Tryce's example to showcase
>
> functional Flex 4.8 demos. I also have older demos to illustrate basic
> functionality (from Flex 4.5). Are there any other demos that can be used
> illustrate anything unique about the 4.8 build that can be used for
> demonstration purposes?

Apache Flex 4.8 is a parity release, i.e. it is exactly the same as Adobe
Flex 4.6.  So, there are no new features.  The user community will
hopefully proactively switch to Apache Flex 4.8 and make sure that nothing
broke when the codebase was transferred from Adobe to Apache.