From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:06:27 GMT
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Omar Gonzalez
<omarg.developer@gmail.com>wrote:

> >  I'm guessing we are one of the larger
> > projects at Apache in terms of code size
>

> This is precisely why I think we should strongly consider moving to Git.
>
> I understand the apprehension some may have with learn "Yet Another SCM
> Control", but really? How many other SCM systems have you used besides SVN
> and maybe CVS? I'm sure its not all that many. The commands are not that
> difficult to learn. There's not that many. The concepts are similar, the
> tools are just better in Git.

+1

"I don't want to learn yet another SCM tool" is not a strong argument
IMHO.  Also, there are other committers who dont know SVN.  If we chose
SVN, they will have to learn a new scm tool as well.  We are all smart
enough to learn new tools/technologies to get things done.

> It's also not something that has to prevent work today. Moving to Git would
> require establishing workflow for how to work with it and documenting it so
> a transition can be made that doesn't impede everyone's current progress.
>
> The current Git fork is getting sync'd to our SVN already. I would be
> willing to take the lead and experiment with the Git repository by making a
> fork to play around with and define and document in Confluence all of the
> workflows for moving to it. Once that's done we can figure out when to make
> the actual move and set a date and make a transition. Work on SVN can
> continue the whole time.

I will be more than happy to help you with this effort.

Thanks,
Om