From Taras Kostyuk <tara...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flex 3 to Flex 4 Performance degradation
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:57:48 GMT
Hi Carlos,

There was attempt to migrate from Flex3 to Flex4, and app became working
slower. I was confused, because one of the reasons to migrate to Flex4 was
to increase performance.
I think, Flex4 is good for small apps, and maybe for developing big apps
from scratch (I am not sure). But migrated from Flex3 really big apps
(using a lot of components and styles) works slower on Flex 4....

Thanks,
Taras

2012/8/28 Carlos Rovira <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com>

> Hi Taras,
>
> Fx4 has already a good performance. If your app is well crafted, I
> think you should not notice nothing regarding that issue. I'm not
> saying that we should not bring new performance improvements, but what
> we have today is already very valid.
>
> In big apps performance is important, but the benefits of Fx4
> regarding skinning, FXG, advanced CSS and so on, are equal in
> importance. I'm assuming that the apps you talk are business apps for
> what Flex is well suited and not things like games or so...
>
> My opinion is that, if your business need a upgrade to Fx4, and your
> Fx3 is rightly done, you should try to migrate now and see if
> performance is really a problem. Maybe you think you can have a
> problem where probably you would not find anything.
>
> Best,
>
> Carlos
>

> 2012/8/27 Taras Kostyuk <tarasok@gmail.com>:
> > As you know there are needed much time to move big apps from Flex 3 to
> Flex
> > 4 and there are a lot of risks. So, the main reason to do it is to get a
> > lot of benefits. Increasing performance can be a good benefit to do
> > migration, so it would be great to create appropriate tickets in flex
> > apache tracking system and start investigating it to increase performance
> > in next Flex releases.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Taras
> >
> > 2012/8/24 Carlos Rovira <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com>
> >
> >> IMHO, performance is very important, but for the main use cases where
> flex
> >> is choose over other technologies (IT applications, form applications,
> >> large scale apps,...) the benefits introduced in Fx4 are critical. So we
> >> need to get better both of them (performance and ease of development).
> >>
> >> One of the things Alex comment in the blog post (order or addChilds in
> >> generated as3 code from mxml) seems to be something that could be done
> >> nowadays modifiync the mxmlc, isn't it?

> get
> initialization a

> http://jackviers.blogspot.com/2011/03/flex-3-vs-flex-4a-performance.html