From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Branching Strategy and SCM
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 00:50:11 GMT
Hi,

I think it's a little early to be taking a vote when there no clear consensus and some of
the details of the branching models are a little unclear, but as a vote has been called for:

+1 (binding) for option 4

 My reasons include:
- The apache git set up is still experimental. I'd be fine to work in Git when it's fully
supported.
- git-svn can be used now - not ideal (no pull requests) but means you can use Git if you
want.
- Option 4 is simple. Options 1-3 and 7-9 IMO add unnecessary complexity and go against best
practice (ie cherry picking). Branches are fine, it's branches and cherry picking and then
merging multiple branches is where you run into issues. I'm fairly certain that the gitflow
branching model did not involve cherry picking so not sure how that has crept in.
- Unsure how it is decided what from develop/trunk goes into a release. IMO this will make
releases a lot more work for the release manager and less likely someone will want to take
on that role.
- Advice from mentors favours this option.

Thanks,
Justin