From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1369773 - in /incubator/flex/trunk/frameworks/projects/experimental
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 23:21:22 GMT
Hi,

> I'm not sure I think projects/experimental should exist in trunk.  We've
> never really finished the discussion but this seems like something that
> should go in branches/unstable.

Branches/unstable would be good making changing to existing components/architecture. Projects/experimental
is good to get new components (that are not 100% ie missing docs, not fully tested etc but
functional) into the framework for users of the SDK to use (at their own risk) is how I saw
it. Also give a place were committers can look at things that need a little polish (and thus
easier to find something to contribute). Also means we're more likely to get feedback on new
components by users of the SDK. Give user of the SDK an better idea of what is being working
on and what may be coming into the main namespaces soon (dare I mention the word roadmap?).
Easier to show that progress is being made (and users of the SDK are unlikely to look an anything
but the releases). Also means components can be added here without endless discussion on what
namespace they should go it :-) Well that's how I see it anyway.

It been brought up several time on the list and generally though of as a good idea (or so
I thought). There a few existing components that could be placed here straight away.

> I think I agree with what some of the other Apache projects document - anything in trunk
should be releasable
> with a couple of days because in theory anyone can decide to cut a release
> at any point in time.
And the experimental project should also abide by that.

What do other people think? It easy enough to remove if it's generally thought of as a bad
idea.

Thanks,
Justin