From Shannon Hicks <s...@iotashan.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2012 01:09:08 GMT
To answer your questions:

1. Correct. Git is the technology, GitHub is a value-added service provider.
2. It's far easier than using SVN, but like most technologies, without a proper plan in place,
merging could get tricky.

Shan

On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:50 PM, Jeffry Houser <jeffry@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/2012 6:37 PM, Igor Costa wrote:
>> As Carol, Gordon said, We must keep using SVN aside fact that is supported
>> by Apache Foundation.
>>
>> Git is cool and is on stage now, but  Flex has a HUGE source code base and
>> isn't easy to fork on github specially if you willing to download to your
>> machine.
> It is clear to me, everyone has a better understanding of such choices than me, but if
you can indulge me as I ask a few clarification questions:

> 1) I thought Git was the version control repo; and GitHub was [in essence] a site for
Git hosting; with some "social networking" stuff thrown in.  Is it true that You don't have
to use GitHub to use Git?
> 2) I thought the whole appeal of Git was it was very easy to fork projects (and later
merge that fork back in).  Is that not the case?