From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject SVN and issues with branching / consider how we use SVN going forward
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 03:17:39 GMT
Hi,

Suggested way to use Apache SVN:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/doc/user/svn-best-practices.html

Note that the suggested options are:
1. Never branch/always use trunk.
2. Branch for each feature and check into trunk when complete.
3. Commit small checkins day to day into trunk. Branch for large changes, checkin in small
chunks into branch.

Having a branch that is merged at a regular basis into the trunk is not recommended - although
as suggested below it's possible to "bunny hop" (with some disadvantages).

We might want to read and consider the many tales of woe re SVN and branching.

Same random links - not all woe but give insight into the issues of branching.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion (see limitation and issues)
http://designbygravity.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/what-mother-never-told-you-about-svn-branching-and-merging/
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/10/software-branching-and-parallel-universes.html
http://stackoverflow.com/search?q=svn+merge
http://subclipse.tigris.org/branch_tag.html

Subclipse makes it a little easier but not everyone uses it - see overview in link above to
why branching can be an issue.

IMO If we were to going down the path of a single unstable branch all committers would have
2 full checkouts (one trunk and one on the branch) and pay very careful attention to revision
numbers (as you need to use them when merging) to have a chance of going smoothly.

Thanks,
Justin