From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Becoming a committer
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:54:42 GMT
On 8/12/2012 11:32 AM, Erik de Bruin wrote:
>>   I guess in theory you don't know when you're ready to be considered.  It is
>> completely subjective.  You have to do enough work for a PPMC member to
>> notice and/or care.  In this case the "work" will most likely be through
>> submitting patches [or other code] through JIRA.
> Wow. I was just about ready to drop it, in order to not completely
> ruin my changes of being noticed in a positive way, but... I have to
> "do enough work for a PPMC member"? Really? I work for the PPMC now?

  No; I strongly recommend you only do work that you care about.

  But, a PPMC member has to nominate you to become a committer; so if
your sole goal is to become a committer; then you'll have to do
something for a PPMC member to notice.

  Or if you think you've done plenty; feel free to solicit me (I can't
speak for other a PPMC members) to point out your contributions.

  When the guy I never heard of emailed me a single line email asking
that I nominate him to become a committer; I ignored it.

  But, if someone emailed me with some details on why they think they
should be nomiated, such as "I've submitted pathces to these 5 bugs;
I've contributed this new code via Jira; and have created 15 new Jira
entries; 10 of them with patches included.."  I'd be more likely to listen.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur