From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: SVN and issues with branching / consider how we use SVN going forward
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 15:36:29 GMT
On 8/9/2012 11:15 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Greg Reddin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> I totally agree. Maintaining an unstable version will actually make more work.
Just when you think it is stable enough to move into trunk, you have to make it stable again
in trunk.

>>> The community should be perfectly capable of deciding when trunk should be made
stable for an upcoming release and stop making ill considered changes.
>> We argued about this for days at $work, then we finally stumbled on a
>> solution. Flip the model around. Trunk becomes the unstable, do
>> whatever you want, development branch. Create a separate stable or
>> release branch where code gets "promoted" to.
>>
>> The process is still evolving. We haven't quite figured out the best
>> way to "promote" code in svn. Here's what I *think* we'll move to
>> pretty soon:
>>
>> 1. Trunk is still the unstable development branch.
>> 2. People create feature branches for work that can't be completed in
>> short order. Merge often from trunk to your feature branch.
>>     2a. When feature branch is done, merge --reintegrate back to trunk.
>> 3. Trunk is always pretty close to being ready to release even though
>> it is considered unstable.
>> 4. When we are close to a release we restrict changes on trunk to
>> those related to the release.
>> 5. Tag releases.
>> 6. For a patch/bugfix release create a branch from the previous tag.
>> Make the bugfix in the branch. Be sure to make it in trunk also
>> (sometimes it's easier to make the change in trunk then merge it to
>> the branch).
>>     6a. Tag the patch/bugfix release
>>
>> Not fully fleshed out, but a basic plan.
> That is pretty much what I do at work as well.

  That is what I've been doing lately w/ one of my clients.  We develop
in trunk; and whenever we do a release, we create a tag of the trunk
code.  We haven't been using branches at all.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur