From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re: [VOTE] Branching Strategy and SCM
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:06:37 GMT

On Aug 13, 2012, at 2:59 PM, Carol Frampton wrote:

> Dave,
> I'd like to vote with you but I am still pondering the situation.  In your scenerio where
would you work on something like a rewrite or a new major piece of functionality that might
only be half done at release time.

Branch or Whiteboard.

Branch if discussed with Lazy Consensus.

Whiteboard for wild ideas.

Here is a real branching example from Apache POI. Several years ago MSFT came out with the
OOXML spec for Office Docs along with an OSP. The project was then able to start switching
from hacking the file format to reading specs. Plus we added support for OOXML.

We were working on trunk for 3.1 and made a branch for 3.5 and OOXML work - this branch existed
for perhaps a year. Meanwhile 3.1 and 3.2 were released from trunk.

> I am totally opposed to using source control not yet totally supported by infra.  I'd
be ok with Git once that happens.
> Carol
> Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

up in the history from a few comparisons I've done.
> When you branch in git you are marking where you are in the main repos, correct? If you
never push it back the central repos never really cares about your branch, correct? So to
the repository a branch is like a tag.
> My opinion is that git is just putting off the work of integrating diverse changes into
a single release. I feel the same about the 3-Tier plan. It is just putting ALL the work of
deciding what is in a release to a Release Manager.
> Really the Apache Way is for the Committers and the PPMC to share this responsibility.
As this podling must know, you never, ever know when someone will exit.