From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: SVN and issues with branching / consider how we use SVN going forward
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 23:15:39 GMT

On Aug 7, 2012, at 1:23 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>> ...IIRC, merging worked pretty well for us.  I am currently not afraid of it,
>> especially since we are using SVN 1.6....
>
> From the community standpoint, I think working in the same trunk as
> much as possible is much better, in general.
>
> Even if branching/merging is not a problem from the technical point of
> view, IMO branches should be as short lived as possible, and only
> created when really needed. Long-lived branches can create much
> technical and community friction IMO, and learning to work in small
> reversible steps that don't hurt other's code can help the overall
> project velocity a lot.

I totally agree. Maintaining an unstable version will actually make more work. Just when you
think it is stable enough to move into trunk, you have to make it stable again in trunk.

The community should be perfectly capable of deciding when trunk should be made stable for
an upcoming release and stop making ill considered changes.

If the community works on trunk then there won't be much of a question about where a contributor
should work.

It really is good to avoid extra process.

Tag releases and turn those into branches if you need to have something ready to release a
dot version on.

Regards,
Dave