From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: Cross-compiling Flex to HTML5/Javascript (Was : Update on Falcon donation)
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:01:07 GMT
Quoting Carlos Rovira <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com>:

> Hi Michael,
>
> you probably are right and we should continue to evolve Flex to
> continue going ahead of other technologies like HTML. Maybe FalconJS
> could have sense as a new project to develop in OOP and output HTML5
> based apps...something that HTML5 needs urgently since is its main
> problem IMHO. But this would need new people and focus on that target.
>
> Regarding Flex, our problem is basicaly unability to target mobile
> browsers. Something that could be overcome using AIR and deploying as
> a Native app...for some people a change of mind, but the same
> agressive that a change of technology (like going HTML5).

This is the SINGLE fact that remains a variable for me. I think
targeting HTML5 for desktop browsers would be a joke. But creating
something specifically for a mobile device that also was plugged into
a native framework could be very compelling and if something was
hashed out on a small prototype level. I certainty might entertain
putting some time into this.

> So I think the future of Flex can be brighter than many people want us
> to think...

Since I have diversified my development in other technologies, I a
coming back to Apache Flex and the Flash Player with a different
perspective. I have a project that will make Apache Flex look really
good in the Android sector. I already know some inherit benefits of
the Flex framework on mobile and want to push those farther. At the
same time using native technologies as well.

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com