From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: Cross-compiling Flex to HTML5/Javascript (Was : Update on Falcon donation)
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:20:18 GMT
This is pretty much my opinion as well and I should have just said it. :)

After seeing the last year or so and HTML5, I probably wouldn't spend
an ounce of time developing something like this(FalconJS). I really
have to agree with this post, well written.

I'm looking at a use case of Apache Flex on mobile devices (AIR),
FalconJS isn't even on the same planet. Success comes from doing
something and doing it good (cliche).

Mike

Quoting Jonathan Hart <jonathan.hart@gmail.com>:

> Hi all, this is my first post here..
>
> I would recommend (if you have some time to kill) watching this deep
> dive on the Flash player rendering engine:
>
> http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2010-develop/deep-dive-into-flash-player-rendering/
>
> After seeing what goes into rendering in the flash player, it would
> become quite obvious how FalconJS would prove to be challenging to
> provide something on par. To get complete coverage of the drawing API
> would be pretty much impossible.
>
> This is my own opinion, but the cliche Maslow's Law of the Hammer
> seems to ring true here. There are a lot of very optimistic and
> enthusiastic people who are convinced HTML5/JS is the hammer and
> everything that you can poke on a screen is a nail. This is a false
> hope, as the technology has fallen far short in (somebody's) promise
> of good performance, cross-browser consistency, etc. The list goes on.
>
> I'm not saying FalconJS doesn't have a place somewhere, to someone,
> but considering Adobe has stated that its primary focus for AS
> scripted content will be focused on games and mobile, FalconJS will
> not see much adoption in those industries because of its
> inappropriateness for game development and its poor performance on
> mobile (I refer to Facebook's recent ditching of its HTML5 iOS app in
> favor of a natively written one as an example of people abandoning
> HTML5/JS).
>
> Jonathan
> --
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC