From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Update on Falcon donation
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 23:00:46 GMT
My personal opinion is that outputting to HTML5+JS+CSS could make sense if ActionScript is
restricted to the subset that maps well to JS and if you don't try to emulate any flash.*
APIs. There is nothing about MXML that is tied to DisplayObjects, for example. Instead of
writing <s:Button> and having it make me a DisplayObject-based Button where DisplayObject
is implemented using HTML5 Canvas APIs or something, I would want to write <js:Button>
and have it make me a new Button component that is implemented using HTML5 drawing APIs directly.
I think the approach of emulating one API with another is generally filled with gotchas that
frustrate developers, because there is too much mismatch and the emulation isn't complete
enough.

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: carlos.rovira@gmail.com [mailto:carlos.rovira@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Carlos Rovira
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:48 PM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Update on Falcon donation

Hi Gordon,

I'm surprised to know FalconJS was discontinued by Adobe, taking into account the new way
to HTML5.

I would like to know more about this decision. Maybe it was studied and the results were negative
to think in FalconJS as a project that could get to be a valid tool in the future?

What do you think, taking into account that you have a deep knowledge about flex, falcon and
JS...do you think that FalconJS could make the Flex platform to provide output to HTML5+JS+CSS?

Thanks for your comments

Best,

Carlos

2012/8/28 Gordon Smith <gosmith@adobe.com>:
> No, sorry. FalconJS was a separate experimental project by a separate team (actually,
by one person). It adds on to Falcon but isn't considered part of Falcon.  It hasn't been
maintained for a number of months and isn't currently in shape to be donated. One of Adobe's
next steps after donating Falcon will be to figure out what to do about FalconJS.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología