From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Update on Falcon donation
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:48:17 GMT
I don't think that Adobe is backing away from donating FalconJS. But code can typically never
be donated "as is" for various legal reasons. Even if the code doesn't compile or run, it
still takes someone at Adobe to do prep work like putting in Apache copyright headers, changing
the package names from ones involving "adobe" and "flash" (which I think trademarks of Adobe),
scrubbing comments that aren't intended for public consumption, making the build script compliant
with Apache's requirements, getting Adobe Legal to sign off, etc. It will probably end up
either being me, Alex, or Carol that does this work, even though none of us worked on FalconJS,
because the engineer who did is working on other stuff now.

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Omar Gonzalez [mailto:omarg.developer@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:41 PM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Update on Falcon donation

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Gordon Smith <gosmith@adobe.com> wrote:

> No, sorry. FalconJS was a separate experimental project by a separate
> team (actually, by one person). It adds on to Falcon but isn't
> considered part of Falcon.  It hasn't been maintained for a number of
> months and isn't currently in shape to be donated. One of Adobe's next
> steps after donating Falcon will be to figure out what to do about FalconJS.
>
> - Gordon

Thanks for the updates, Gordon.

I think even if the state of FalconJS has gotten out of sync with the current state of Falcon
people will still be very interested in the approach and, I think, more than likely will want
to at least use the code as reference for getting a "FalconJS" closer to production-ready.
Not sure if community feedback will be part of the decision Adobe makes on what to do with
FalconJS, but if it counts for anything I'm pretty sure the community will take the project
in any state it may be in. I know I would.
:)

-omar