From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Falcon location
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 22:58:45 GMT
> Falcon is a new version of the Actionscript compiler.

Falcon is a reimplementation of mxmlc and compc. The AS support is very good. (It will ship
as FB 4.7.) The MXML support is incomplete but Falcon can compile the framework test file
Checkinapp.mxml.

> Does it support mxml as well?  Or would that be a separate top level project?

See above.

> What do we call the compiler that is currently inside trunk?

I call it "the legacy compiler".

> If falcon gets a new top level project, shouldnt the current compiler get its own top
level project?

I don't have an opinion on that. I hope the old compiler dies as soon as possible.

> Does Falcon work with exisiting flex sdk?

It 's intended to eventually, but it's not yet ready to compile and run all SDK SWCs and tests
yet.

> If I create new components inside incubator/flex/SDK/trunk/, should I worry about who
Falcon will work with it?  How would I set up my project in that case?

Unless you want to contribute to Falcon, you shouldn't worry about it. At some point, if it
becomes a suitable replacement for the legacy compiler, we will switch over and everything
should just work the same.

> Should I have copies of my new components in both incubator/flex/SDK/trunk/ and incubator/flex/Falcon/trunk/
to run both Mustella tests and Falcon's tests?

No; incubator/flex/Falcon/trunk will be only for Falcon's Java code. No framework components
will live there.

>  Does Falcon share any code with Falcon JS?

Yes, it shares a front end (lexer/parser/symbol table). FalconJS and Falcon have different
back ends (code generators). FalconJS is not ready for donation.

> If yes, how might we want to change the repo structure if/when FalconJS is contributed
to Apache Flex?

We can figure that out when FalconJS is ready, but I think making it a sibling of Falcon would
be best. It could share Falcon's front end just by putting Falcon's JAR on its classpath.

- Gordon

Sorry for jumping late into this thread, but I am not sure what exactly Falcon is at this
point.  I was hoping that you would post some wiki pages about what exactly Falcon is.  There
is very little public information about Falcon (that I could google)

>From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong), Falcon is a new version of the
Actionscript compiler.
Does it support mxml as well?  Or would that be a separate top level project?
What do we call the compiler that is currently inside trunk?
If falcon gets a new top level project, shouldnt the current compiler get its own top level
project?
Does Falcon work with exisiting flex sdk?  If I create new components inside incubator/flex/SDK/trunk/,
should I worry about who Falcon will work with it?  How would I set up my project in that
case?
Should I have copies of my new components in both incubator/flex/SDK/trunk/ and incubator/flex/Falcon/trunk/
to run both Mustella tests and Falcon's tests?
(Thinking ahead) Does Falcon share any code with Falcon JS?  If yes, how might we want to
change the repo structure if/when FalconJS is contributed to Apache Flex?

Sorry, if some of these questions sound stupid.  But we will be able to make a better judgement
of where it should go if we knew some more details.

Thanks,
Om