From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject Falcon location
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:05:30 GMT
I'd like to start a discussion of where Falcon will live in the Apache repository.

The initial donation will be an Eclipse project and Ant scripts for building Falcon itself.
Later we will donate another Eclipse project and Ant scripts for testing Falcon

Although it is Java code, I don't think it should go into trunk/modules with the older compiler.
It would be confusing to have a bunch of subdirectories in trunk/modules, some of which are
for the old compiler and some of which are for the new compiler. So I propose that the two
Falcon projects live inside trunk/falcon.

Like the old compiler, Falcon is tied closely to the Flex framework because of the semantics
of MXML. Therefore, I think Falcon belongs initially "inside" Flex, like the old compiler
was inside Flex. Eventually, it would be interesting to try break many of these dependencies
and let Falcon become its own project independent of the framework, but I see that as longer-term
evolution.

- Gordon