From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:44:43 GMT
Given what Om and Michael say about the tooling, I no longer have any concerns about Git.

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: omuppi1@gmail.com [mailto:omuppi1@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Om
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 12:25 PM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: What would it take to move to Git?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Gordon Smith <gosmith@adobe.com> wrote:

> I only know two... I've used Perforce and Subversion for 20 years. For
> me, the most important thing is ease of use, such as what visual tools
> it has and how it integrates with IDEs like Eclipse.

Here is a tutorial on getting the Egit plugin to work with Flash Builder [1]

> With Git, can you do an Eclipse refactoring without worrying about
> which files you need to check out?

Yes, you can.

> Do files have to be checked out at all before being edited?

No.  You can just start editing any file and the plugin is smart enough to figure things out.

> If so, is there an Eclipse plugin to check them out?

See [1]

> How do I see what files I need to submit, and what changes I've made?

In Flash Builder or Eclipse:

Project - right click > Team > Synchronize Workspace.  You can see "incoming", "outgoing"
and "conflicts" (Very similar to the Perforce Eclipse plugin)

> If this is all done on the command line, I have no interest in
> returning to 1972.

When I started with Git, this is exactly what I thought.  But of late, I have started loving
Git Bash (the command line environment for Git)  But, for almost every feature, the EGit plugin
for Eclipse/Flash Builder has proven to be sufficient.

Alex:

> I've spent the morning trying to use Git.  I gave up and am now
> reading the doc, because it is so different from SVN.  I tried a GUI
> (GitHub for Mac) but it seems tied to GitHub.  I don't know how to
> redirect it to look at git.apache.org.  The GUI loves to show me
> commit records, but not the files themselves.  So now I am trying to
> learn the CLI.

Please see [1] and [2].  It has instructions on setting up Git with Flash Builder and on how
to get github projects into FB directly.

[1] http://zoltanb.co.uk/how-to-setup-git-on-flash-builder-4-5/
[2] http://zoltanb.co.uk/how-to-import-github-projects-into-flash-builder/

 - Gordon