From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:12:15 GMT
I only know two... I've used Perforce and Subversion for 20 years. For me, the most important
thing is ease of use, such as what visual tools it has and how it integrates with IDEs like
Eclipse. With Git, can you do an Eclipse refactoring without worrying about which files you
need to check out? Do files have to be checked out at all before being edited? If so, is there
an Eclipse plugin to check them out? How do I see what files I need to submit, and what changes
I've made? If this is all done on the command line, I have no interest in returning to 1972.

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Omar Gonzalez [mailto:omarg.developer@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 11:55 AM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: What would it take to move to Git?

>  I'm guessing we are one of the larger projects at Apache in terms of
> code size

This is precisely why I think we should strongly consider moving to Git.

I understand the apprehension some may have with learn "Yet Another SCM Control", but really?
How many other SCM systems have you used besides SVN and maybe CVS? I'm sure its not all that
many. The commands are not that difficult to learn. There's not that many. The concepts are
similar, the tools are just better in Git.

It's also not something that has to prevent work today. Moving to Git would require establishing
workflow for how to work with it and documenting it so a transition can be made that doesn't
impede everyone's current progress.

The current Git fork is getting sync'd to our SVN already. I would be willing to take the
lead and experiment with the Git repository by making a fork to play around with and define
and document in Confluence all of the workflows for moving to it. Once that's done we can
figure out when to make the actual move and set a date and make a transition. Work on SVN
can continue the whole time.

-omar