From "Kessler CTR Mark J" <>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Branching Strategy and SCM
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:06:47 GMT
Just a thought... in the same way the Installer was created and used to make the complications
for the FB setup; could we have a small application to run the commands for people, but provide
a more intuitive gui?  That is regardless of the svn/git debate.

-----Original Message-----
From: jude []
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:57
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Branching Strategy and SCM

As Omar said, it will be *more* productive for us to use Git going forward.
The workflow model is already setup<>.

The disadvantage, which is small, is that those that don't know it will have to learn it (maybe
a week or two)? Yes we can!

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Omar Gonzalez

> * I think we as a community need to figure out how to work together in
> > a more centralized environment before we get too decentralized. I
> > worry that the desire to move to git is in many ways a desire to
> > "get around" the problem of not being able to define a branching
> > strategy by adopting one in which each developer can have his or her
> > own branching strategy. My concern is that this will lead to us not
> > really working together much.
> That couldn't be further from what is being proposed by using the Git
> Branching model. I don't see how desiring to move to Git plus the most
> well defined branching model that has been proposed is promoting to
> work with "his or her own branching strategy". No one has ever
> proposed that we should move to Git and work however each developer
> wants, quite the contrary, we have proposed to work using a VERY
> detailed workflow of Git branching.
> *In contrast, the other strategies are described in ways like: * *"In
> this model, there is a "trunk" branch that is almost always*
> *production-ready, a "develop" branch, and various other branches on
> whiteboards and elsewhere on an as-needed basis."*
> Could this be any less specific? How is this promoting to work
> together when things need to be "almost always production ready" and
> "on an as-needed basis", what are the criterion for these decisions?
> If you actually read
> would see
> that the uses and purpose of each of the branches are VERY detailed
> with diagrams and detailed workflows. How is this promoting "his or
> her own branching strategy"? On the contrary, its the only model that
> has been proposed with any kind of ACTUAL detail beyond just saying
> "on an as-needed basis".
> Anyhow, I think this is my last post on the subject, as they say, you
> can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it... or also
> this horse is dead and beat to death or something like that...
> -omar

View raw message