From "Edward J. Apostol" ...@edapostol.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Introduction and some quick questions
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:34:32 GMT
Hi everyone -

Thank you all for the following answers!

>1)      Is there an expected date /time frame for the IDE packager to be

>released? (Although I will walk through the setup of the current Apache

>Flex install, most of the dev  audience will probably want something

>simpler)

(From Erik De Bruin)

Nothing is set in stone, remember, we're all volunteers. Having said that,
the first release of the Apache Flex Installer and accompanying badge is
expected within the next week or two. Some minor details have to be taken
care of before a release can be cut and voted upon.

*thanks I'll remind the group of this.

(from Carol Frampton)

In the meantime, if you have a FlashBuilder installation, you can use either
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/sdk/trunk/ide/constructFlex

ForIDE.bat (or .sh) depending on your platform to build a packaged SDK using
an Apache Flex source or binary kit and the other pieces like Flash Player,
AIR, etc from the FlashBuilder installation sdks/4.6.0 directory.

*great I will look into this now.

(From Om)

I see that your presentation is tomorrow evening.  For the short term, it
would be best to download the latest source from here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/trunk/installer

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/trunk/common

You can compile it on your machine and run it locally.  It should work fine
for your presentation.  The codebase is pretty much locked and this is what
we will be cutting a release from.

And you could take this opportunity to perhaps walk through how to checkout
code from Apache Flex, set up on your machine, compile it etc.  You could
show the devs how easy it is to get up and running.  Maybe some of them will
get inspired to help out Apache Flex as well.

Just a thought :-)

*I am actually going to go through this process (a little quickly) and maybe
do some inspirational talk to. BTW you know I am also a yoga teacher and om
is quite a common phrase in those circles. J

If anyone has comments on the other questions as well that would be great!

3)      I've seen some threads here regarding unit testing - is there going

to be some support or foundation for using Apache Flex with FlexUnit or
other unit testing systems?

4)      What is currently being worked on in terms of feature support that

for example the Flash Player has that Apache Flex has yet to implement?

video for example? Components?

5)      (Last one for now) I'll be using Andrew Tryce's example to showcase

functional Flex 4.8 demos. I also have older demos to illustrate basic
functionality (from Flex 4.5). Are there any other demos that can be used to
illustrate anything unique about the 4.8 build that can be used for
demonstration purposes?

And btw, the link to the information about my brief is preso is here -
http://www.flashinto.com

Thanks again

-Edward

Edward J. Apostol

Consultant & Instructor - Web, RIAs and Mobile

Toronto, ON Canada

E: ed@edapostol.com