From "Edward J. Apostol" ...@edapostol.com>
Subject [OT] Introduction and some quick questions
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:09:21 GMT
Hey everyone -

Just introducing myself, having joined the list a little over a week ago. I
developed Flex apps and taught Flex from 2007-2010 or so, and had followed
the future of Flex marginally since it was announced of it being turned over
to the ASF.

I am doing a presentation for the local dev community here in Toronto
tomorrow evening on what's new and / or happening with Apache Flex, and
(when you have a moment) would appreciate your brief thoughts and comments
on it. Seems like a lot of activity here, so I thought I would ask some
salient questions:

1)      Is there an expected date /time frame for the IDE packager to be
released? (Although I will walk through the setup of the current Apache Flex
install, most of the dev  audience will probably want something simpler)

2)      Is there a difference between Apache Flex SDK and the SDK released
with Flash Builder 4.7 Beta
(https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_flashbuilder4-7)
- I assume that since the mailing lists are referring to Flex as 4.8 that it
is further along than what Adobe has just packaged.

3)      I've seen some threads here regarding unit testing - is there going
to be some support or foundation for using Apache Flex with FlexUnit or
other unit testing systems?

4)      What is currently being worked on in terms of feature support that
for example the Flash Player has that Apache Flex has yet to implement?
video for example? Components?

5)      (Last one for now) I'll be using Andrew Tryce's example to showcase
functional Flex 4.8 demos. I also have older demos to illustrate basic
functionality (from Flex 4.5). Are there any other demos that can be used to
illustrate anything unique about the 4.8 build that can be used for
demonstration purposes?

And I am interested of course in becoming involved in the Apache Flex
community as well. Any answers to these questions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Edward J. Apostol

Consultant & Instructor - Web, RIAs and Mobile

Toronto, ON Canada

E: ed@edapostol.com

Twitter: @edwardjapostol

Web: http://about.me/edwardapostol