From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 08:10:00 GMT
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<> wrote:
> ...I'm expecting to be able to review the release on Thursday unless
> other mentors beat me to it....

I'm self-beating me to it, found time to do that now.

Thanks to Carol for putting the release together, it looks mostly
good, even though a few things that should be easy to fix stand in the

I have ignored the -incubating-bin.tar.gz file, we don't release
binaries, so -1 on that one.

The -src archive looks good, with two open questions which lead me to
a -1 for now:

1) The -src archive does contain a few binary files: an flv, an mp3
and a ttf which should be harmless. But how about
./frameworks/projects/flash-integration/FLA/ContentHolder.fla? How can
people check that file in order to trust it? Remember that I'm
clueless about Flash and Flex in general, I'm only here as an
incubation mentor...the answer might be trivial.

2) Do we have confirmation that the Flex trademark agreement between
Adobe and the ASF was signed? I don't think so, and we cannot release
without it, as mentioned by Alex in this thread. But let's get the
release archives ready, assuming that comes soon.

As for the -asdocs archive, LICENCE, NOTICE and DISCLAIMER are
missing, so -1 as well.

See comments below for the details of what I checked and a few things
that need to be fixed but wouldn't warrant a -1.

Release check details:

About apache-flex-sdk-4.8.0-incubating-src:
MD5 (apache-flex-sdk-4.8.0-incubating-src.tar.gz) =

Signatures and digests match the (but it
would be good for release managers to get their keys signed by other
Apache folk at the next opportunity).

The KEYS file shouldn't be included in the distribution archives (as
people must get it from a separate trusted source), please fix for the
next release.

Contents of the zip and tar.gz files are identical (with an extra
apache-flex-sdk-4.8.0-incubating-src path in the tar.gz file, not a

DISCLAIMER is present.

LICENCE is present but the "For the asc compiler in modules/asc..."
bit is already in the NOTICE file, can be removed from LICENSE, please
fix for the next release.

NOTICE looks ok.

The rat exclusions in build.xml look ok, I understand a rat report
that looks good is attached to but that's down now,
cannot check it.

I haven't tried building, as an incubation mentor I don't care about
the technical quality of the release, I'll trust Flex PPMC members to
check that.

One open question about an fla file, see above.

About apache-flex-sdk-4.8.0-incubating-asdocs:
MD5 ( =

Why no .tar.gz file? (doesn't affect my vote, but inconsistent).

Signatures and digests match.

Files like /asdoc/spark/components/ActionBar.html include an Air icon
IIUC, I think there should be a notice somewhere in those pages that
Air is a trademark of Adobe (and maybe Flash and other trademarks that
might be mentioned).

View raw message