From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject How to release binaries (Was...VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0)
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 07:26:10 GMT

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Alex Harui <> wrote:
> On 7/3/12 1:10 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <> wrote:
>>... I have ignored the -incubating-bin.tar.gz file, we don't release
>> binaries, so -1 on that one.

> Several Apache documents state that there are binary distributions provided
> as a convenience.  Do they go through a different process?

I'm not sure if there's a defined process ASF-wide, IMO what's
important is to clearly label those binaries as not being an Apache

The simplest way might be to create a "binaries" folder under (which doesn't exist yet, but
that's where the release ends up once voted on), with a README.txt
that explains what those binaries are.

Once such a mechanism is in place, I'm fine with people voting on what
to put in there if desired, in VOTE threads that are distinct from the
release votes, but let's not call that a release. What people can
express with their votes is "I think that foo.jar with md5 12345 is a
usable binary distribution of our software" or something like that,
but as opposed to source code releases those do not have the ASF's
stamp of approval.

View raw message