From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to release binaries (Was...VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0)
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 09:52:49 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Yann Chevalier <yac@baao.com> wrote:
> I'm a old user of the Apache Tomcat project (like a lot of Flex devs I suppose).
> I'm surprised by the fact that Apache doesn't release official binaries.
>
> If you go for example here : http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi, you have a binary
distribution...

Yes, but it's not a "release" according to the definition at
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what , it's a "convenience
binary package". If someone wants to make absolutely sure they get the
real thing, they should build the software from source - which few
people in the Java world do, but is quite common for C-based code for
example.

This was recently discussed/clarified on the general@incubator.a.o
list, and the goal is for projects to clarify their procedures
accordingly, so I think it's good for Flex to use the right practices
right away.

-Bertrand