From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: How to release binaries (Was...VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0)
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 09:52:49 GMT

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Yann Chevalier <> wrote:
> I'm a old user of the Apache Tomcat project (like a lot of Flex devs I suppose).
> I'm surprised by the fact that Apache doesn't release official binaries.
> If you go for example here :, you have a binary

Yes, but it's not a "release" according to the definition at , it's a "convenience
binary package". If someone wants to make absolutely sure they get the
real thing, they should build the software from source - which few
people in the Java world do, but is quite common for C-based code for

This was recently discussed/clarified on the general@incubator.a.o
list, and the goal is for projects to clarify their procedures
accordingly, so I think it's good for Flex to use the right practices
right away.

View raw message