From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: InstallApacheFlex - auto update mechanism
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2012 17:13:40 GMT
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Carol Frampton <cframpto@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 7/19/12 3 :12PM, "Om" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Carol Frampton <cframpto@adobe.com>
> >wrote:

> >>patch
> >> >

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/InstallApacheFle
>
> I know how to bump up the build number but do you really want it bumped up
> every time the script is run.  I think not.  You want it bumped up once,
> every time there is a change - not the 10 or 20 times one might rebuild
> while working on something.  Do you want the published version to go from
> 0.7.1 to 0.7.24 to 0.7.29, etc?

Can we have a -test vs. -release switch to the ant script?  The -release
option would automatically do the version bump.  Future release managers
would not remember to bump up the version numbers.

> >> I'll add build number support later today.
> >>
> >> Carol
> >>

> >Thanks Carol :-)
> >
> >I also wanted to build an auto-update mechanism for the installer.  Since
> >we are using native installers, the AIR's built in auto-update cannot be
> >used.
> >
> >For this it would be nice if the build script creates/updates a
> >version.xml
> >file while creating the artifacts.  The script should automatically push
> >the version.xml along with the .exe and .dmg file to the release sites.
> >
> >The app will check the version.xml each time and download the new
> >installer
> >if there is an update.
> >
> >Am I missing something else?
>
> I assume you're doing this, or did you think I am doing it?

I will work on the update mechanism in the app.  I was hoping you could do
the ant script part of this.

> Carol

Thanks,
Om