From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 15:25:27 GMT
Hi,

Sorry but it's -1 from me. It's very close but the binary release is broken (for me).

I was able to (on OSX Lion 10.7.4):
1. Download the source and compiled via the instructions a SDK. I used the IDE packager to
download the extra required pieces/package up the SDK.
2. Took an existing fairly large project (5000 classes) and recompiled using the source SDK.
3. All unit test passed for this large app and the application worked (mostly) as expected.
4. Tested several other smaller projects including desktop (AIR), web and mobile applications.
No major issues.
5. Recompiled the same applications compiled with the binary release. This seems to be broken
(see below).

There were a few minor issues with the large application ie fonts were not identical and in
some cases scroll bars did not appear when they should (possibly because code is using font
metic information to work out sizes).
Some minor compilation issues with a mobile app (but it was targeting AIR 2.6 not 3.1 so not
unexpected).

It looks like the release build is missing something to do with text layout/formatting  (flashx.textlayout
classes?) . Using it I got the following error:
Interface ISWFContext was not found.

And in one project:
Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: TextFlow.

I assume most users would use the release build rather than build the SDK from the source
release.

Ignoring the issue with the release build:
- Minimal or no changes are required. As a user of the Flex SDK  I would expect some minor
issues on using a new SDK. Changing the above projects from 4.5 to 4.6 was more effort  than
4.6 to 4.8 (and that required minimal changes).
- If release did have issues they should be easily identified and fixed and a new release
quickly made.
- I'm fairly confident that the release is compatible with any application compiled with Adobe
Flex 4.6. (Although I would of preferred that the full Mustella tests were publicly available.)

Once issue with binary build is fixed I'd vote +1.

Thanks,
Justin