From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: Suggestion : Adopt a package manager like Ruby Gems for Flex as a first class citizen of the SDK
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:08:10 GMT
Ok ... and what exactly is the difference to what you describe from simply using Maven to build
a Flex application?
From what I get from your whishlist, It sort of gives you everything you want. And it does
this really nicely and the solution is somewhat finished allready.

Chris

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Yi Tan [mailto:tanyi@smartgf.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 13. Juli 2012 15:49
An: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Suggestion : Adopt a package manager like Ruby Gems for Flex as a first class
citizen of the SDK

Hi all,

I've been following this maillist for months. I seldom post, because my English is self-taught.
I try my best to express myself simple and clearly.

This post does make me feel a bit sad when seeing 6 of 12 replies against adopting a package
manager in Flex.

Programming has already become a social activity. In a community with decent tools, programmers
share, learn with each other and eventually be able to make better software in much less time.
This is the trend I really hope Flex/ActionScript could catch up with, because the major part
of my daily job is coding in AS.

/* 1. Why a package manager matters */

A real story: we are working on a game app by using AIR for iOS. To reduce memory consumption,
I need something can make skinnable interface from little bitmaps snippets (oh, no Flex framework,
it's too enterprise to be fit in real-world apps). So I googeled and found a few scale bitmap
AS classes. After comparing them, I chose ByteArray.org's one (
http://www.bytearray.org/?p=118) . A few days after using that class, I found it is not well-thought,
there was no need to duplicate the original bitmap data. So I wrote my own. The funny thing
was when I am about to push my version of ScaleBitmap onto github. I found there is a newer
version of ByteArray.org's already on github and it did exactly the same thing as I did :(
 (http://www.bytearray.org/?p=1206). Because that blog post is newer, it ranked lower in google
search result, and I missed it. So I wasted half day building a same thing and writing test
cases for it.

If flex has a decent package manager, programmer can share and maintain code libraries in
a centralized-managed place. And that will also be the best place for all AS programmers to
find out is there already some smart guys done what I'm going to do.

/* 2. Why Ruby, Python, JS, Perl... whatever script language need */

The answer is so obvious: AVM can not do that job.

AVM is designed to performer heavy multimedia tasks under limited resources. It is the best
in that filed, but it's not a general purpose VM.
There is no CLI, no REPL, no script ability in AVM.
So when you need something that can talk in command line on-the-fly, you have to look on other
scriptable virtual machine, and thus other languages.

For this point, I would recommend nodejs. It's built on V8 engine, reads javascript, which
is familiar to ActionScript 2, and npm is just so easy to
use: http://npmjs.org/
Also for Ruby-friendly people, coffee-script is awesome.

/* 3. What a decent package manager should be */

at least:
- It should let people publish their libs in a few simple steps
- It should let people search other people's libs in a few simple steps
- It should let lib owners maintain there libs in a very easy way
- It will be great if it can be integrated with github

Regards,

ty